Muay Thai, or Thai boxing, is Thailand’s very own combat sport. It is also considered as a form of martial arts, in which its techniques have been used by many fighters of other disciplines. Phuket is a great place to experience Muay Thai first-hand. Whether you want to train for self-defense or simply watch the fights for entertainment, you can do both in Phuket! Here is a list of MMA institutions for you to check out:
For Training If you are interested in learning and training different types of martial arts in Phuket, listed below are the two institutions for you:
1. American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) Thailand American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) Thailand is originated in San Jose, California. The institution is home to many fighters, including big names in the UFC and other renowned organizations as well. Aside from kickboxing, the gym also offers many different martial art classes such as Muay Thai, Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu, among others. In addition, there is a restaurant and café named “contender café” inside the gym that offers healthy and nutritious meals for fighters.
2. Absolute MMA With institutions in both Australia and China, Absolute MMA offers various classes similar to AKA Thailand. The institute has trained many popular boxing and MMA fighters. Absolute MMA welcomes individuals of all skill levels. Moreover, it also functions as a travel business as members can go on trips to certain landmarks as a way to ease their stress after a long day training.
For Watching In Phuket, there is no shortage of Muay Thai fights. There are fighting sessions held multiple times during the week. If you want to experience watching Muay Thai fights in person, there are various locations throughout Phuket that you can check out. Here are some of the main ones:
1. Patong Boxing Stadium Patong Boxing Stadium in Patong Beach is the largest stadium on the island. The stadium can fit more than 300 people, providing a grand watching experience for the audience. There are many special events that take place in Patong Boxing Stadium as well, including the Suk Singpatong Sitnumnoi, which is a tournament that occurs every Saturday, showcasing fighters from across the globe putting their skills out there for everyone to witness.
2. Bangla Boxing Stadium Bangla Boxing Stadium is one of the leading organizations in Phuket. The stadium hosts many fights three nights of the week, from 9 pm onwards. The fights usually start with fighters with the lowest skill or experience levels, and towards the end of the night, there will only be highly-skilled and advanced fighters left standing.
3. Republic Phuket Stadium One of the newer stadiums is Republic Phuket Stadium which opened in 2016. Although the venue is significantly smaller than that of Patong Boxing Stadium, Republic Phuket Stadium is a place to go if you prefer underground fights. This stadium is located on Chao Fah Tawan Tok Road in the southeast part of Phuket.
Keemala is a luxury villa hotel on Kamala beach. Want a great place to see the sunset? Get in touch today to book your stay!